Alexandria, VA – The American Society of Travel Advisors (ASTA) recognized the superstars of the travel industry last week at the 2022 ASTA Global Convention (AGC) in San Francisco, August 24-26. During the convention, attended by almost 1,000 travel advisors, suppliers and industry professionals, the Society recognized frontline travel advisors and agency owners who go above and beyond in caring for their customers as well as those suppliers most supportive of the trade, as voted on by ASTA members.
"As travel trade’s premier organization, ASTA strives to promote excellence within the industry,” said ASTA President and CEO Zane Kerby. “We’re pleased to use the occasion of our annual convention to lift up those professionals and companies who make lasting and meaningful contributions to the travel industry."
Voted by the ASTA membership, supplier awards are given to companies and individuals who recognize the value of agency community:
- Partner Company of the Year: Royal Caribbean
- Partner Representative of the Year: Vicki Freed, Royal Caribbean
- Airline Partner of the Year: Delta Airlines
- Transportation Partner of the Year: Enterprise Holdings
- GDS Partner of the Year: Sabre
- Hotel Partner of the Year: Marriott International
- Ocean Cruise Line Partner of the Year: Royal Caribbean
- River Cruise Line Partner of the Year: AmaWaterways
- Tour Operator Partner of the Year: Globus Family of Brands
- Travel Insurance Partner of the Year: Allianz Global Assistance
- North American Destination Partner of the Year: Hawaiian Islands
- International Destination Partner of the Year: Los Cabos
- Sustainability Partner of the Year: Virgin Voyages
- Supplier Medal of Excellence: Royal Caribbean
Partnership awards were also given to ASTA members, chapters, and partner organizations who show the greatest support for the association:
- ASTA Travel Advisor of the Year: Melinda Fortunato, Owner, Best Travel
- ASTA Consortium Partner of the Year: Signature Travel Network and Virtuoso
- ASTA Regional Consortium of the Year: MAST Travel Network
- ASTA Host Agency of the Year: Nexion Travel Group and Travel Planners International
- ASTA Franchise Partner of the Year: Cruise Planners and Dream Vacations
- ASTA Member Service Award: Fell Travel, Inc.
- ASTA Chapter on the Rise: ASTA New York City Small Business Network Chapter
- ASTA Chapter President of the Year: Shelly Phillips, ASTA Alabama Chapter
- Regional Director of the Year: Deb Belchak, Lazy Days Travel
- ASTA Susan D. Tanzman Inspiration Award: Camille Olivere, Chief Sales Officer, Globus Family of Brands
The newest membership award at ASTA honors the late Robert (Bob) Duglin, who served as Vice President, International Membership and Host Agencies and the Managing Director of ASTA’s Small Business Network until his passing in 2021. To honor his dedicated service, as a volunteer leader and staff member, we renamed our Chapter of the Year award in his honor. The ASTA Chapter that exudes special qualities of conscientiousness, community building, and overall excellence is awarded the Robert L. Duglin Chapter Excellence Award. We congratulate this year’s winner, the ASTA Rocky Mountain Chapter, represented by Chapter President Rob Hale.
The Entrepreneur of the Year competition took center stage at the ASTA Global Convention after a two-year pause. This year, the audience voted for the winner after each of the three finalists presented their case. In the end, the winner of the $10,000 grand prize from the Dan & Gloria Bohan Foundation and the honor of ASTA’s 2022 Entrepreneur of the Year was Debby Corwin, founder of TA Toolkit.
The annual Advocacy Dinner is ASTA’s black-tie gala where the Society celebrates the year’s advocacy wins and honors its top supporters. The following awards were announced at the celebration:
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Arnold Donald, Vice Chair of the Board of Directors of Carnival Corporation
- Paul Ruden Industry Ambassador Award: Dave Hershberger, Prestige Travel, Inc.
- Barbara O’Hara Advocacy Award: Jenn Lee, Travel Planners International and Betsy Geiser, Uniglobe Travel Center
- John Haskins Chapter Advocacy Award: ASTA South Florida Chapter