Alexandria, VA, May 6, 2015 – In celebrating National Travel and Tourism Week (May 2-10) and Travel agent Day (May 6), the American Society of Travel agents (ASTA) is shining a spotlight on the work dedicated professional travel agents do by releasing the “Top 20 Strangest Requests” made of our members in the past year.
“When planning your trip, travel agents know what consumers often don’t know to ask,” said Zane Kerby, ASTA President & CEO. “But according to this poll of ASTA professionals, agents also sometimes have to save their clients from questions they DO ask. It’s clear from the list of “strangest requests” that some travelers need a little more hand holding than others,” he said.
“There are 429 million vacation days left on the table every year by American workers. When they finally get around to taking a vacation, consumers don’t have time for a do-over. Put that planning in the hands of a professional. You’ll be glad you did,” said Kerby.
The following are the Top 20 Strangest Requests made of an ASTA professional in the past year in no particular order:
1. Can you please book the honeymoon suite for us and another couple?
2. Can you please plan a honeymoon for me, my bride and my mother?
3. Can you guarantee that no pet has ever been in the hotel room?
4. Can I fish off of the cruise ship?
5. Do they speak English in Britain?
6. Can you book two rooms in different parts of the resort—one for me and my wife, and the other for my girlfriend?
7. Is our relationship like a client/lawyer relationship? (ASTA wonders if this is the same client who asked Question 6).
8. Does the crew actually sleep onboard the cruise ship?
9. Don’t tell my fiancé this is where I took my first wife for our honeymoon.
10. I would like to go somewhere where there are NOT a lot of men.
11. I’d like to meet Elvis.
12. I’d like to get married in the Caribbean on an island where the marriage is not legal in the U.S. (Again, we refer you to Question 6).
13. Will there be shadows on my face at 4 p.m. when the pictures are taken?
14. Will you watch my pet while I’m away?
15. Are there toll roads on the way to Hawaii?
16. How can I get to Europe without going by air or sea?
17. I’d like to visit Scotland and Denmark on the same trip. (agent then tells client he does not have time in his schedule to travel the distance). But they’re only an inch apart on the map!
18. Can you set it up so that the whales jump in the background at the same time I’m proposing to my girlfriend?
19. Can you ask the airline to block the seat next to me so I can stretch out?
20. I don’t want a window seat on the plane because I just had my hair done.
ASTA connects consumers with professional travel agents at TravelSense.org, and ASTA’s sister organization representing independent agents, the National Association of Career Travel agents (NACTA), connects them at FindaTravelConsultant.com.
Rebranded in 2018 as the American Society of Travel Advisors, ASTA is the leading global advocate for travel advisors, the travel industry and the traveling public. Its members represent 80 percent of all travel sold in the United States through the travel agency distribution channel. Together with hundreds of internationally-based members, ASTA’s history of industry advocacy traces back to its founding in 1931 when it launched with the mission to facilitate the business of selling travel through effective representation, shared knowledge and the enhancement of professionalism. For more information about the Society, visit ASTA.org. Consumers can connect with an ASTA travel advisor at TravelSense.org.